Monday, December 10, 2012

Active Scanners, Pleeeease.

OK I'm sort of back. Still back in the UK and have hardly been on Eve since last weekend with the sudden passing of my mother last Sunday. However, I'm starting to resurface in the real world and the virtual world. Won't be back fully until next weekend. Funeral and travel back to the Middle East are this weeks fun 'jobs'. But I did log on today for a proper roam, my first in over 8 days.

First things I start hearing is how great the Caracal and Moa are now. This makes me a happy bunny. Of all the ships in Eve Online I've always loved the Caracal model. May be it is the Klingon Warbird look. Whatever it is, I really like that ship.

On my roam I didn't get any kills and didn't die either. First fight was with one of those new Caldari destroyers. He was long range fit, I was in a short range Thrasher. Managed to burn out of point range and escape. Second fight was verses a CN Hookbill and a Tristan. Got the Hookbill into low structure before he escaped and couldn't catch the Tristan. I roamed a bit sitting in a few plexs spamming D-Scan whilst waiting for someone to enter the plex.


This clicking is annoying. Very, very annoying. And with all those crew members on my ship, WHY THE HELL AM I HAVING TO DO THIS?

Seriously, does Kirk or Picard have this problem?

"We're hit!"
"Where did they come from? Did they decloak?"
"No sir, we just forgot to spam D-Scan for the last 5 minutes."


So really having to hit that button every few seconds is a bit silly. What we need is some sort of automatic update.

Would an automatic d-scan work? Something that updates every 4 or 5 seconds? Would it give too much of an advantage to carebears? Would it increase server load?

I don't know, but for me as someone who likes to sit inside a plex and wait for an unsuspecting squid to warp into my trap, it would be a godsend for my mouse!

So now I'm back in Eve, time to get myself a new Caracal and some of those new destroyers and have some fun!

7 comments:

  1. Would it increase server load?
    It is safe to say that it would indeed increase server load.
    By how much is the big question. With nullsec systems always going into TiDi on almost every fleet fight, I wonder how much worse it would get.
    On the other hand, they could disable it in TiDi systems (or lower the frequency way down).
    I doubt it would make much difference on a cluster with normal load.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have no problem with an active D-scan ... provided it was broadcasting the position of whoever was using it. Let passive be "safe" and active have a risk associate with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I like the current dscan method. We already have plenty of passive intel systems. Local, the overview, and blue intel channels. Making dscan passive as well is basically just extending the overview to the entire system. Not cool.

    DSJ does have a good suggestion. Make passive dscan available with a risk associated with it. A beacon popping up on a passive dscanner? That would give everyone else information on your whereabouts just as easily as you're getting it on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Save the mouse button. Click 'scan' once then hit your return key from then on. Works provided you don't shift focus.

    Auto-update would be a terrible idea. Remembering to click d-scan is part of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Save the mouse button. Click 'scan' once then hit your return key from then on. Works provided you don't shift focus.

    Auto-update would be a terrible idea. Remembering to click d-scan is part of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even easier, make the active scanner a module that cannot be activated while cloaked.

    And the active scanner takes a low or mid slot and has a 4 second cycle time, with the T2 variant have a 3 second update time.

    Nothing without cost; no benefit without risk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Knug Lidi - ... and if you overheat the active scanner, your ship explodes.

    Silly ideas. Scanning whilst under gate cloak is a major part of getting an idea what you jumped in. And clicking dscan is not part of the game, it's a non-necessary nuisance. Carebears that don't use dscan will not even open it. PvPers will anyway. So where's that massive advantage of automating it?

    ReplyDelete